Building self-esteem can sometimes feel like a never-ending, uphill battle. Your inner critic spares nothing and can make you feel like you have nothing valuable to offer. Kindness isn’t just something we should extend toward others; it’s something we must extend to ourselves too. Knowing who you are and the tremendous value you offer is a beautiful journey worth taking.
7 Tips to Help You Build Self-esteem
- Spend a few moments every day reflecting on your strengths. You have them; own them.
- Speak gently to yourself about what you consider your weaknesses. Remember, no one is perfect.
- Accept compliments with a smile and a thank you. Don't doubt their truth.
- Avoid comparing yourself to others. We only see what people want us to see.
- Practice self-care. Workout, meditate, drink plenty of water. It's easier to feel good about yourself when you feel healthy.
- When you are down in the dumps, be kind to someone else. Serving others can bring feelings of joy, gratefulness, and greater self-worth.
- Smile. It's hard, if not impossible, to feel negativity while there is a smile on your face.
Once you learn how to be kind to yourself, kindness and encouragement will flow out of you to others naturally.
8 Quotes to Remind You That You are Amazing
Sometimes we all need mental reminders that we are important and that we matter. Use these quotes to inspire you as you learn to own who you are and to be kind to yourself.
1. “Self-care is never a selfish act—it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer
2. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
3. “Don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Washington Thurman
4. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.” – Brene Brown
6. “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” – Fred Rogers
7. “TO ACCEPT OURSELVES AS WE ARE MEANS TO VALUE OUR IMPERFECTIONS AS MUCH AS OUR PERFECTIONS.” – SANDRA BIERIG
8. “Lighten up on yourself. No one is perfect. Gently accept your humanness.” – Deborah Day
Everyone is different, and that's how we all bring value to this world. As important as it is to be kind to others, you need to make it a point to be kind to yourself. While you're on this journey of life, be kind to yourself and be kind to others.