The pandemic has affected us all in ways large and small. It has been incredibly hard on nonprofits, schools, clubs, churches, teams, and other organizations that rely on in-person fundraising and events to fund their efforts. These groups now find themselves needing quick and easy ways to raise funds – and these ideas need to be new and virtual. During Covid-19, many organizations have found success in offering a virtual fundraiser in place of their traditional events, races, door-to-door campaigns, and in-person activities. We've enjoyed helping groups with our new virtual fundraiser.
What is virtual fundraising?
Virtual fundraising, or online fundraising, allows you to raise funds while complying with social distancing guidelines. You can keep everyone safe while working to fund your cause.
What are the benefits?
- Keep everyone safe
- Usually less expensive
- Can be easier to organize
- Can access more people
- Still raise funds during these difficult times
- Keep in touch with donors
Virtual Fundraiser Steps and Strategies: Create, Market, and Promote Your Fundraiser
1. Pick your fundraiser. We've launched a great one selling one of our most popular kindness products. Or, here's a great list of more ideas.
2. Set fundraising goals. A specific goal of money you want to raise is motivating to you and your audiences.
3. Set campaign date(s). It's easy to think that a virtual fundraiser would go on forever, but we've seen the most success with campaigns that have an official start and end date. Campaign dates create excitement and urgency.
4. Create a landing page on your website. If you don't have a website, create a Facebook event. Keep it as simple as possible, but make sure to include:
- Who: Tell about the organization you are raising money for
- Why: State your need for raising funds and specifically tell why raising money virtually is essential during this time
- What: Explain what you will do with the money
- Where: Online, of course!
- How: Give clear instructions and a call to action on what you want people to do next. For example, you may want people to purchase a ticket to a virtual event, donate money, buy a product, etc.
5. Make a short video explaining the fundraiser. Make sure to say what the funds will be used for and how people can support you.
6. Send out an email to your audiences, friends, family – anyone you think might be able to help - and include a link to the video and the landing page.
7. Post about your fundraiser on social media platforms. Again, make sure to include a link to the video and the landing page. Make sure to go live now and then, post on Facebook/Instagram stories, and perhaps even create a Facebook event to increase your social exposure.
8. Do more than ask – explain. Use your website, email, and social media to explain your needs, how extra funds will help, and past results you have seen. Use quote graphics, photographs, infographics, case studies, video, and more. An online fundraiser is an excellent opportunity to bring awareness as well as raise funds. Tell your story, but always be sure to link to the landing page and state a clear call to action. Canva is an excellent resource for creating social media graphics if you don't have a graphic designer available.
9. Keep asking. It's easy for people to delete the email or miss the social posts. Regular reminders and requests during your campaign are necessary. Ask your friends, family, board members, partners, and other key organizational leaders to make the ask as well. Send updates on goal progress through email and social media. Create and update a thermometer graphic to help people see how far along you have come and how much it will take to meet the goal.
10. Say thank you. After your campaign ends, make sure to say thank you (virtually, of course).
Giving Tuesday is coming up on December 1. Make sure you have a way for people to donate to or support your cause before then.
Give a virtual fundraiser a try! You can do it, and we hope these marketing tips have helped. Inspire Kindness is here to help through our Cool Cards virtual fundraiser. Learn more and request more information here: https://shop.swinspire.com/pages/virtual-fundraiser