We all grew up learning the Golden Rule: treat others the way you want to be treated. This typically refers to how we behave toward people, but the same rule should also be applied to how we treat Mother Nature. Adopting a sustainable lifestyle will benefit our planet now and for generations to come. To get started, here are some simple swaps to live more eco-friendly.
- Turn Off the Lights: Although this seems pretty obvious, we could all use a reminder. When you leave a room, make sure you flip the light switch. Creating effortless habits like this saves a lot of energy… not to mention it reduces your monthly electric bills.
- Minimize Screen Time: Raise your hand if you’re guilty of falling asleep during a TV binge session. We sure have. If you’re going to doze away, set a timer on your TV so it automatically turns off. Even better, read that book you bought a few months ago and haven’t touched since. Studies show staying off screens before bed results in a better night’s sleep. Better for you and better for our planet.
- Recycle, Recycle, Recycle: About 72 percent of waste currently in landfills consist of materials that could have been recycled or composted. This is preventable if we become more conscious about reducing, reusing and recycling. Keep a second bin in your house for recyclables such as paper, glass and plastic. This helps our planet by lessening the amount of trash that will end up in a landfill and harm our clean air and water.
- Cut Back on Plastic: Frequently buying plastic water bottles isn’t only an expense to you, but also to our environment. Switch to a reusable water bottle to fill up throughout the day. This goes for plastic bags too. Instead of getting bags at the grocery store just to throw away, opt to purchase reusable bags that can hold more items, are easier to carry and are better for the planet.
- Go Paperless: In a digital world, this one is fairly convenient. Switching to e-statements and online billing saves paper by having your bank statements sent to your email. For added convenience, most companies have online auto-bill options so you’ll never miss a payment.
- Make Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products: Creating sustainable cleaning products gives you the power to avoid chemicals that are harmful to the environment. Here is one to get you started:
DIY Scented Surface Cleaner:
Source: Live Simply
1 cup distilled water
1 cup white distilled vinegar
1/2 lemon juiced (optional)
15 drops of essential oil (such as lavender or peppermint)
Pour all ingredients into a 16 ounce spray bottle (use a funnel, if needed). Gently shake the cleaner, spray on desired surface and wipe off with a damp cloth. This cleaner will need to be stored in the refrigerator between uses due to fresh lemon juice. Note: Do not use vinegar cleaners on marble or granite.
Adding eco-friendly habits like the above into your everyday routine are simple ways to be kinder to the planet and support a more sustainable future. Let’s all do our part!